Herbs to Avoid During Pregnancy
Copyright 2000 Lori J. Kolb C.N.C., C.Ht., N.C.
Everyone wants a safe and happy pregnancy. Here are just some of the major substances that should be avoided during pregnancy.
Herbal remedies are getting more and more exposure in the media these days as the demand for natural, safe products is hitting an all time high with very little regard for the safety or hidden dangers of taking these products. People don?t seem to realize that just because they are taking an herb that it can be harmful, especially during pregnancy.
In my consulting practice I find that very few people admit to their health care provider what they are really taking aside from what the health care provider has written down in front of him or her in their chart. This to is very dangerous as some herbal products can have adverse side effects especially if taken with other medications and or in certain life situations.
During pregnancy a woman?s body goes through many changes hormonally, physically and emotionally. Her system is very delicate to anything that is ingested and she should be very careful what she takes as it has a direct effect on the fetus.
Herbs that are emmenagogues or have oxytocic properties should be avoided at all cost during pregnancy as they promote menstruation. These herbs can induce abortions and cause miscarriages by causing sever cramping in the uterus.
AVOID DURING PREGNANCY AT ALL COST!
Pennyroyal Black Cohosh Goldenseal
Rue Damiana Mugwort
Blue Cohosh Juniper Mistletoe
Bearberry Oregon Grape Rt. Poke Rt.
Wormwood Tansy Southernwood
Cotton Rt. Cat?s Claw Dong Quai
Angelica Lemon Balm (Fresh) Vervain
Osha Rt. Birthwort Rt. Beth Rt.
Lovage Feverfew Thuja
Male Fern Hyssop Lf. Peruvian Bark
Sumac Berries Sweet Flag Rt. Liferoot (Flowers)
Wood Sorrel (Fresh) Ma-huang (Ephedra) Senna
Cascara Sagrada Turkey Rhubarb Soy Products (Tofu)
Buckthorn Buchu Mandrake
Evening Primrose Queen Ann?s Lace seeds Saw Palmetto
Stillingia Uva Ursi Yohimbe
Common Cooking Herbs to Avoid:
Basil Caraway Seeds Celery Seeds
Ginger Horseradish Savory
Marjoram Nutmeg Rosemary
Saffron Sage Parsley
Tarragon Thyme Watercress
Carrot Seed Licorice Hops
Check out Herbal Gallery!
Pictures and Descriptions of 70 herbs.
To further ensure a safe and happy pregnancy here are a few other suggestions of things that really should be avoided.
- Smoking and alcohol (including beer and wine)
- Caffeine (coffee, black tea, cola, and chocolate). Caffeine acts as a teratogen ? a substance that can cause physical defects in the developing fetus. The FDA?s suggested a limit of 500mg of caffeine daily during pregnancy. One cup of regular coffee is 400mg.
- Drugs all orthodox drugs should be avoided during pregnancy, especially in the first and third trimesters. All over-the-counter drugs such as painkillers and hay fever medications as well. Tranquilizers such as Librium and Valium can cause birth defects. Analgesics and Aspirin can prolong pregnancy and childbirth and lead to bleeding in both baby and mother. Antacids like bicarbonate of soda can cause muscle problems in the baby and edema in the mother. Antibiotics may cause abnormalities, Narcotics may cause fetal addictions and sulphur drugs may cause jaundice. Any chemical stimulants and depressants (LSD, psychotropics, phenobarbital, and barbiturates) she be avoided at all cost.
- Steroids and herbs containing steroid-like factors including Agave, Ginseng, Licorice, Ginger, Hops, Sage, Celery, Flax Seed, Soy products, Primrose, Black Cohosh, Sarsaparilla, Damiana, Saw Palmetto, and Dong Quai. Large amounts of estrogen in the body can promote miscarriage.
- Fumes from paints, thinners, solvents, wood preservatives, varnishes, glues, spray adhesives, benzene, dry cleaning fluids, certain plastics, vinyl chloride, rubber tuolene. All petroleum products found in plastics, hand and body products. NEVER heat food in plastic containers.
- Heavy metals: lead, nickel, cadmium, manganese,
- Pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides ( especially those containing Carbaryl)
- Excesses of Vitamins A, C, or D (vitamins found naturally in herbs are safer than vitamin supplementation of pills).
- Sleeping with electric blankets and using magnets. Several experts warn that the invisible electromagnetic field emanating from these may increase the risk of miscarriage and developmental problems.
- Do not take SHARK CARTILAGE during pregnancy. It inhibits the formation of new blood vessels, which is essential during pregnancy.
- Avoid raw or undercooked meats.
Everyone wants a safe and happy pregnancy. The above are just some of the major things that should be avoided during pregnancy. Doing everything that you can to ensure a happy, healthy, thriving baby should be an expecting mothers main priority. So a good rule of thumb is when in doubt ? don?t take it or use it. Instead use common sense.
Disclaimer: All information given is based on the experiences and research of the author and other professional healers. It is with understanding that you accept complete responsibility for your own health and well being that this information is shared. It is not with intent to diagnose or prescribe. The author and publisher are not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use of any remedies, procedures or preparations. Always consult your inner guidance, trained healers and health care practitioners.
- Prescription for Nutritional Healing.
Buy Prescription for Nutritional Healing and get Nutraceuticals: The Complete Encyclopedia of Supplements... at an additional 5% off Amazon.com's everyday low price. James and Phyllis Balch; 1997 Avery Publishing Group
- Wise Women Herbal The Child Bearing Years Susun Weed; 1986 Ash Tree Publishing
The Complete Woman?s Herbal Anne McIntyre; 1994 Gaia Books Limited
- The Way of Herbs: Michael Tierra; 1990 Pocket Books a division of Simon & Schuster Inc.
- Today?s Herbal Health Louise Tenney; 1997 Woodland Publishing Inc.
Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
by Susun S. Weed (Illustrator), Durga Bernhard
Menopausal Years : The Wise Woman Way, Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90 (Wise Woman Ways) by Susun S. Weed
Total Breast Health : The Power Food Solution for Protection and Wellness
by Robin Keuneke
- Breast Cancer : What You Should Know (But May Not Be Told About Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment) by Steve Austin, Cathy Hitchcock
Women's Articles on this site
Online Herbal and Medicinal Plant Photo Gallery
for more information about some of the herbs listed in this article.